Hi friends! Happy New Year! It's been a little bit since I've posted. Just wanted to pop on here for a quick post.
Cary & I have been on a tidying rampage for the last week & it is seriously the.best.thing.ever! We started with a major overhaul of the kids' toys & have kept the ball rolling. It's been so therapeutic! Our efforts to purge, simplify & organize have made such an incredible difference in our home already!
I’ve been sharing our progress on my Instagram & have received many messages from people who want to do the same, but don’t know where go start. I thought I'd share some helpful tips to help you get started!
Tips for de-cluttering:
- Get your mind right! You can do this! It’s overwhelming when you’re in the middle of the process, but sooo worth it in the end!
- Set aside as much time as you can. If you have kids, plan to have them watch a movie/play outside/have someone babysit them so you can have as much uninterrupted time as possible. Plan to order out/have food delivered so you don’t have to worry about cooking & cleaning.
- Prepare by gathering boxes/bins/bags to use for sorting your items into the following categories: trash, donate, sell, keep.
- Focus on one category at a time. I’ll use clothing as an example: Gather all your clothes & put into one big pile. Every single item! Sort piece by piece. If an item doesn’t “spark joy” (sounds silly but makes so much sense! Why would we want a house filled with possessions we don’t like?), doesn’t fit, is stained/worn out, you don’t wear/use it, doesn’t have a purpose - then GET RID OF IT! No ifs, ands or buts!
- It takes a while to get going, but once you find your rhythm it will become much easier to let things go!
- Find a home for everything! This is huge for staying organized & using what you have.
- Complete your task & all loose ends before moving on to a new category.
- Get ready because once you get going you won’t want to stop!
Happy New Year & happy tidying friends!
P.s. Life with three littles sure does keep me busy, but I'm looking forward to continuing to blog here & there this year.