Tuesday, November 4, 2014

National Adoption Month: Our Story

November is National Adoption Month! 
I am encouraged and challenged by all of the stories I've seen shared through social media about adoption over the past couple of days.  

I thought I would share a little post about the call God has placed on our family to adopt. 

Adoption is something I have always felt passionate about. I wasn't very educated on the process before we started our own journey, but there's always been a burning desire in my heart concerning adoption. As I've mentioned a few times before, Cary and I always knew adoption was going to be a part of the way God grew our family. We thought adopting would happen later down the line for our family, but God had a different timeline in mind for us. After being diagnosed with infertility & going through over a year of heartbreak & confusion concerning the future of our family, we began to realize God was calling us to adoption sooner than we expected. 
As soon as we made the decision to adopt, I felt something inside me come alive. It sounds strange but I don't know how else to describe it…there was a strong confirmation & a sweet celebration in my heart that our decision to adopt was "right". It was like God brought me through all of the pain of infertility so that I could clearly see His plan for us concerning adoption & say "yes" when He opened the door. 

I don't fully understand why we have to deal with bearing the painful cross of infertility, but I do believe God is using it for His glory. He has used this journey as an invitation to for us cling to Him & to be faithful in trusting Him to provide for our family. We cannot control our fertility, but we can be faithful with how we respond to our diagnosis. Right now, we know without a doubt that God asked us to put fertility treatment on hold. We know that He is bringing a baby to us right now through the gift of adoption. If we hadn't had any trouble conceiving, we would probably be pregnant with a second child right now & no where near considering adoption. The amount of love I have for the baby God is bringing into our family right now through adoption is unbelievable & indescribable. I cannot imagine missing out on this beautiful & precious gift… 

Even though our journey to parenthood has been difficult, I am extremely thankful for God's plan. I know when we meet our sweet Baby K, all of the heartache & the long wait will be worth it. God has used & is continuing to use this journey to open our eyes to His plan for our family. It's a lot different than we planned, but I don't believe it will be any less beautiful. I know God is using our journey to parenthood to establish a powerful testimony of His provision, a deep understanding of the gift of family & a passion for bringing children into forever families in our hearts. God has also strengthened our marriage immensely through this journey.It's been so beautiful to walk alongside Cary in this journey & see his passion for adoption grow. 
I know that zeal we have for adoption comes from our heavenly Father. God is passionate about adoption. Because He lives in us, His passions are our passions. God is devoted to seeing each of His children loved & cared for. He is all about love & redemption. God loves bringing hope & healing where there is despair & hurt. He has rescued us & restored us to Himself (He has adopted us!!!). He wants to use us to help Him rescue others. God's heart is for US to be His hands and feet to this hurting world. This is the call He has placed on His children. 
Every person who has entered into a relationship with Him is called to love others like He loves. Every single one of us can make a difference in the lives of children across the globe. I personally know God has a call on our lives to not only adopt, but to also be a voice for adoption & advocate for it. Our journey with adoption has opened my eyes to love more, give more & do more for babies & children who are in need of forever families. I'm not sure exactly what God has in store for us, but I can't wait to see where He leads our family as we learn more about how to live out His heart for adoption.

You might not be called to adopt or foster but there are so many other ways to make a lasting difference in the lives of so many sweet little ones. You can donate, volunteer, educate & pray on behalf of adoption. I hope you will be challenged this month to set aside time in prayer to ask God how He wants to use you concerning adoption. There are so many resources out there on adoption. Do some research, spend some time in prayer & make a plan to be more involved! :)

We are SO thankful for each person who has blessed us immensely in our own journey to bringing Baby K home. The support we've received is beautiful. Y'all are truly living out the gospel! God is so faithful to provide for us & He's doing it through your generous hearts. We are humbled & grateful… 

 "God's definition of what matters is pretty straightforward. He measures our lives by how we love."
 ~Francis Chan 

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." ~James 1:27

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." ~John 15:12


Photo Credit: Carolynn Seibert Photography 

Can't wait to be matched with our little pumpkin! 

Please keep us in your prayers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment