Friday, August 7, 2015

Stand for Life


The other day I heard Isabel stirring, so I went into her nursery to get her up from her nap. As I walked up to her crib, I stood quietly & watched her beautiful little hands reach down to grab her tiny perfect toes. As I took in the sight of my sweet daughter, I felt a wave of emotion come over me: amazement over the beauty of my baby’s perfectly formed body, gratitude for her precious life & the gift of being her momma. Then in an instant, I was overcome by sadness, anger, disgust & grief as an image of tiny torn apart body parts flashed through my mind. You see, the visual of my daughter’s perfect little hands & feet brought up the recent images from the Planned Parenthood videos in my head. The room spun & I felt like I was going to throw up. The thought, “That could have been my daughter’s fate” echoed in my mind. I blinked & was back to reality just in time to see Isabel turning her little face toward me & giving me the most adorable smile. As I reached down to scoop her up & snuggle her close, my eyes filled with tears of gratitude for her birth mother’s brave choice. As I felt her little heart beat against me, my heart exploded with praise to the Lord for protecting her life & bringing her to us. I sat down to rock her & held her close, as my heart mourned every precious life that has been sentenced to death by abortion.

I am sick over what is going on in our country concerning abortion & the culture of death. We live in a country where it is legal for a mother to kill her child if she so desires, a country where the price of baby body parts is negotiated over lunch by high ranking Planned Parenthood officials, a country where the government, media, general public (& even the church at times) all but turn a blind eye to these gruesome activities, a country where the government has chosen to forsake the rights of the unborn because after all, a woman should be free from the consequences of her sexual choices, even if that means she must murder her own flesh & blood in order to do so, right? How have we strayed so far that we are willing to condemn innocent babies to death for the sake of convenience… My heart is heavily burdened for all of the innocent lives taken by abortion, for the way our culture has justified these evil acts, & I’m broken for every woman who has made the choice to abort & lives haunted by regret.

My heart is also so incredibly grateful for every brave woman who has been faced with an unplanned pregnancy & chosen life. Thank you Jesus for every selfless woman who has sacrificed her body for 9 months in the name of love. Thank you God for every birth mother who has chosen adoption. Thank you Lord for every family who has chosen to adopt, foster & radically love children in need of a forever family. I am so grateful for every pro-lifer in our country who fights for the rights of the unborn, for every person who supports families who are adopting, for every soul who hits their knees in prayer for the women faced with an unplanned pregnancy.

In a lot of my posts on adoption, you will find the hashtag #adoptionislove. I don’t use this phrase lightly. After all, I’ve witnessed firsthand the brokenness, pain & loss that all plays a huge part in adoption. BUT I have ALSO seen the abounding joy, the redeeming grace, the deep LOVE that is involved in adoption. Birth mothers come from all sorts of different backgrounds & circumstances, but regardless of their situation, they all share one important, beautiful thing in common: they chose to put the well being & happiness of their child above their own. Birth mothers humble themselves by admitting they are not the what’s best for their unborn child. They suffer through 9 months of pregnancy knowing that they will have to face the pain of giving up their rights to their own flesh & blood. They say no to abortion & yes to life, even though they are scared & overwhelmed by an unplanned pregnancy. Do you know what force drives them to reject abortion & put themselves through monumental pain, pregnancy & loss? It’s called LOVE…selfless, sacrificial love. Love also motivates families to wholeheartedly accept, care for, provide for, fight for, and sacrifice for a child of a different biological background than their own… Adoption is truly a picture of love.

I’m reminded of Isabel’s birth mother’s sacrifice every single day. I am so grateful for the bravery & strength that led her to choose life for our daughter. Isabel lights up every room she’s in & brings joy to everyone she meets. Our lives have been forever changed by her short life & I cannot imagine the world without her. Every life is precious & has potential. The unborn deserve the right to life, they do not deserve death, NO MATTER the circumstance under which they were conceived. My heart aches for all the beautiful babies the world has lost to abortion.

There are many ways we can stand against abortion: prayer, peacefully protesting at clinics/rallies, watching & sharing the Planned Parenthood videos & educating ourselves on the facts (the videos are horrific & very hard to watch but watching them means educating yourself on what is going on…let the footage motivate you to take a more active stance on fighting for life! People need to see for themselves what is really going on), voting pro-life, letting women know they have options other than abortion, supporting organizations that help connect pregnant mothers & single mothers to resources/counseling/life giving options, stop shaming & judging unwed pregnant women, supporting families who are adopting, adding to your family through adoption, speaking about adoption with positive language, praying for birth mothers who are choosing adoption, etc.

Even though the darkness seems overwhelming, God is moving. He’s inviting us to shine bright & cut through the darkness by standing for truth, speaking up for life & sharing our stories so that others can see the life-changing love that can come from even the most unplanned pregnancy.

Upload your own image to: https://standforlifemovement.com
*A note to anyone reading this who has had an abortion & lives with regret: God’s grace is enough for you & His forgiveness will change your life. We have all sinned & fallen short of the glory of God…we have all made mistakes & decisions that we deeply regret. This post is not meant to shame you. My heart breaks for you & I genuinely pray that you would find peace. There are resources available to help you heal. God makes all things new when you put your life in His loving hands. 

“For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.”
~ Psalm 139: 13-16 


Happy 6 months, Isabel! You are a blessing & we are so incredibly grateful for your life. Every day with you is a gift. Love you so much sweet girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment