Thursday, October 15, 2015

Rejoice with Joyful Songs

I am not a morning person (understatement!), so whenever Isabel sleeps in, I won’t lie, a huge part of me rejoices & gladly soaks up the extra rest! However, the moment I hear her sweet little voice calling out to me every morning, I jump up realizing how truly eager I am to see her. The morning routine we’ve developed never ceases to bring me joy (except for maybe the time she woke up with a full-blown poop explosion, that wasn’t too much fun ;P). But 99% of mornings, our first few moments together are special & a time that I genuinely look forward to. 
When I first enter Isabel’s nursery, I always pause a few feet from her crib & wait for her to realize I am there. As soon as she sees me her little face breaks out in the biggest, sweetest smile & her whole body rocks with excitement. Talk about a heart-melting moment! As I scoop her up, she wraps her little legs around my waist, her arms around my neck & snuggles her face into my shoulder. It is one of my favorite moments of the day. I love that she needs me & that she’s so happy to see me. As I hold her, I rock & sing her the same songs that I’ve sung to her since she was a newborn. She turns to smile at me & touches my face as I sing. She starts to rock her little body & her brown eyes dance to my words.
We start our day delighting in one another & I cherish every second of it. For me it’s how I declare my love for her & meet her emotional needs, before meeting her physical needs for the day. It’s my opportunity to show her tender love every morning before the diaper changing, crawling chaos, baby food mess & 8-month-old-Izzy-play ensues. It’s my way of communicating through touch, expression & song: You are loved, you are cherished, you are cared for… You, Isabel Grace Koch, are so precious in my sight… Whatever today brings, I am here for you.

This morning after I finished singing to Izzy, I held her close a moment longer. In the middle of that moment, God whispered to me, “This is what I long for with you.”
That reminder took my breath away & brought tears to my eyes… The God of the universe waits for me to wake up in the morning & longs for me to spend time with Him. He wants me to delight in Him as He delights in me. He wants to sing songs over me that teach me about His goodness & love. He longs to see my eyes dance with joy as I look into His. Just as I want Isabel to know how deeply she is loved by delighting in her with tenderness & showing her how much I care for her by meeting her needs, God wants to do the same for me. And He wants to do the same for you! He is a good Father, waiting patiently for His children to wake up & dive into His arms. He wants us to experience the fullness of life that He alone offers.
For too long, I have chosen to wake up distracted. I have deprived myself & my Father these tender moments of relationship. Why would I deny myself sweet time being loved on by Him every morning? Why would I choose to start my day browsing social media, checking emails & returning texts when I could start it basking in His love? Sometimes I forget that God is a Father that longs for His children to need Him, to crave spending those tender moments with Him. I want to start the day off by being filled up with His love & sitting in His presence. I want to be reminded of who I am in Him. I want to dive into His word & know Him more. I want to hear Him tell me: You are loved, you are cherished, you are cared for… You, Tyler Koch, are so precious in my sight… Whatever today brings, I am here for you.

In the precious moments of motherhood, God is inviting me to know Him more.

Photo by Jen Menard 

“For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs."
~Zephaniah 3:17

 “Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.”

~Psalm 63:3

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
~Psalm 119:105

3 comments:

  1. So precious! Just love that! I'm sure it's one of the most peaceful things to watch them sleep and then to know that when they wake up all they want is their mommy <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Tyler! This really helped me today in so many ways! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great reminder ... thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete